Community Banner
Dark Crystal Author Quest Book, Now Available

Brian Froud: A Truely Amazing Artist
Posted: 26 July 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-07-26

I first saw a ellipse of Brian Froud’s creations in a kids almanac. It was a page marked mythological creatures but it was written as stories and sightings. The page features tricky pixies that would knot your hair when you would sleep. It was told that if you left a sock under your bed it would keep them at bay. I brought my book in for show and bookmarked that page. I was so proud to show off these wonderful creatures to my classmates. I was in 2nd grade so of course there were mixed reactions of wonderment and doubt. The book would automatically open to that page as I kept going to it and reading it and I thought that it was some sort of magic.

Then I saw The Dark Crystal. I noticed his name on the beginning scene but never really knew about his work until I had gotten older. It was no surprise to find that those pixies were his creation and I soon started my collection of his wonderful book illustrations.

I did have the pleasure of meeting him at a workshop in NYC, with his beautiful wife Wendy.
He was just as amazing in person as I imagined him to be. A true artist that continues to inspire our world.

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-07-20

He was my main inspiration in art school when I was a teenager and when I was a little girl I loved that he drew faeries as they were and not like Disney does them. He always gives me such inspiration and will always be one of my favorites. <3

Posted: 27 July 2013 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

I found him and his work one day when I was at The Beguiling in Toronto and I found The World of the Dark Crystal there. I almost got it then, but I was encouraged not to get it: if only because at the time it had no practical value to me. Little did I know how important it would become later on.

Posted: 09 October 2013 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2013-10-09

i’ve known him since i was a kid, probably three or four when i first saw dark crystal, then at labyrinth i wa hooked. i’ve since taken a workshop with him and met him a few times at faeriecons, i have original art and signed b ooks by him that he did personally lol, i have a very treasured picture of him me and my best friend together, i watched labyrinth with him at the bad faeries ball. i love him and his wife wendy, her dolls are gorgeous and of course i am a huge Yoda fan:)

Posted: 08 September 2016 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2016-08-12

The movies introduced his designs for me, but several years ago, I began exploring his books and the wonderful art that was contained in each, I have since bought a number of them.  His imagination and inspiration is something that should be captured in every medium available.