1 of 3
Gelfling lifespan
Posted: 25 July 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-07-25

What is the average lifespan of a Gelfling?

Posted: 25 July 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

We’ve been talking about this a little bit, but I’m not sure anyone has seen anything that gives an official lifespan. I think they’re similar to humans in that way but might live a bit longer, maybe 150 trine or so, but I haven’t really decided.

Posted: 25 July 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

And apparently, it seems as though the Sifa Clan has the longest lifespan or survival skill: at least the Skeksis seem to like their essence due to its aiding of longevity.

Posted: 25 July 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-07-25

Thanks for your responses.  After the second Great Conjunction, would the abrupt changes in climate affect the normal lifespans of Thra’s creatures, perhaps shorten them?

Posted: 25 July 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

That’s definitely a possibility, especially after the Garthim Wars begin and the Gelfling are pretty much guaranteed to have a shortened lifespan. I’m sure that affects other creatures in Thra too. I’d imagine it would mess up their ecosystem pretty badly.

Posted: 25 July 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18
Pleistoscene - 25 July 2013 12:55 PM

Thanks for your responses.  After the second Great Conjunction, would the abrupt changes in climate affect the normal lifespans of Thra’s creatures, perhaps shorten them?

I was wondering this myself. The Crystal cracking had such an impact on the landscape, it makes sense that it would affect the living creatures. Particularly ones who are as closely tied to the environment as the Gelfing are.

And for some reason I hadn’t thought of them living quite as long as 150 trine, but I can’t come up with any good justification right now except that Gelfling living longer would mean a more accurate remembrance of the past. From what I’ve seen, they don’t seem to put much stock in the past or the future, which—to me, but you don’t have to take my word for it—indicates a shorter life span, more like 60-70 trine.

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

Honestly, even after I wrote “150 trine,” it didn’t ring true for me. I don’t know that they actually lived that long—especially since Aughra is the one who reports the most about the past and explains that they’re really not concerned with the future. I do think they had shortened lifespans after the crystal cracked, but I guess I’m still working out the details about how long think they lived. smile

Posted: 25 July 2013 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-07-20

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t that one Elder (Belleg I think his name was) in Legends mention how he was a boy when the first Garthim attacks took place? How much of a time distance was the Garthim creation and Legends?

Posted: 26 July 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

It also took the Skeksis a while to send out the Garthim. They first used the false crystal shards to try to lure any dissidents and basically cultivate and destroy false hope. It was only when they failed that they started to send the Garthim out and then probably increased it en masse as they became more paranoid over time.

Posted: 26 July 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18
IrishChangeling - 25 July 2013 03:04 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t that one Elder (Belleg I think his name was) in Legends mention how he was a boy when the first Garthim attacks took place? How much of a time distance was the Garthim creation and Legends?

I just read through this again today, and you’re right, he was a boy when the attacks started. That either means he’s a lot older than he looks, or the Garthim attacks didn’t begin until much later in the timeline. This brings me back to a question I’ve had since the beginning: exactly how old is Rian in all of this? He’s obviously influential in the Gelfling Gathering, and we know that he was a young palace guard not quite a hundred years after the second Great Conjunction, but is there any way he’d still even be alive at the time of the Gelfling Gathering?

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-07-20

Hm, that’s a good question. I have no idea. I pegged him pretty young when he first discovers what the Skeksis are doing.

Posted: 27 July 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

I agree. And I wanna think that maybe he was able to help with the Gelfling Gathering in person, but if it’s not till the end of the timeline,  I just don’t think he would’ve lived that long.

Posted: 27 July 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

Whatever their lifespan is, it is short enough that the time between Great Conjunctions is quite, well, great. A Gelfling millennium. What happened to Rian, and what he knew, if it took another seven Gelfing centuries for their people to get organized enough to create the Wall of Destiny?

Posted: 27 July 2013 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

I think that’s definitely one of the biggest questions we’ll have to answer as part of the author quest, but the problem is, I have no idea. Haha

I have some working theories, but I’m not entirely convinced yet one way or the other.

Posted: 27 July 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2013-07-26

Rian is seemingly the author of that 96 A.G.C. journal entry, as the entry mentions a father and the extraction of essence, and Rian, according to the Author Quest, is in the guard with his father and is the one who discovers that the Skeksis are extracting essence. So then, Rian was alive in 96 A.C.G. This is established.

Yet, who is to say that Rian wasn’t involved in the creation of the Wall of Destiny, but that the Skeksis didn’t find out about the Prophecy, or fully understand it, or even take it seriously until much later?

On the reverse side of the coin: who is to say that the Garthim Wars started in 800 A.C.G? Maybe the Skeksis did discover the Prophecy early on and deployed their deadly Garthim immediately, which resulted in centuries of their rooting out and capturing Gelfling, but it wasn’t until 800 A.G.C. during Legends, that the war first came to Beleg’s doorstep. Even if he had heard about Garthim his whole life, and knew such slaughter had been going on for centuries, the war itself would be new to him. Maybe he didn’t know anything at all, because the clans were all cut off from each other by that time. Many situations abound.

Wise these UrSkeks are at the Jim Henson Co. to crowd source for their chosen author. Many heads are better than one, forming a higher consciousness. And a wise is the individual author who absorbs knowledge and wisdom from the greater whole.

Posted: 28 July 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

Right, I just re-read “Legends” and that’s where the year 800 comes in to play. “Twice four centuries ago…” So if an elder like Belleg was a child when the Garthim first began to attack, that pushes back creation of the wall anywhere from 50-75 years depending on Gelfling lifespans. The Namopo Valley seems to be between the Plains of Skarith where the castle is and the Mystic Valley, so it would be fairly close for the Garthim to attack. And keep attacking Gelfling in this region periodically, forcing villagers like Larh and Neffi to relocate again and again. The Skeksis—if they were wise—would have to leave the Gelfling villages alone long enough to build their numbers back up, which is another aspect that I think indicates a lifespan shorter than a Thra century.

The destruction of the Garthim army at the end of this time, forcing skekUng to create more Garthim, would have allowed time for many Gelfling to flee the areas on the map, even making it to other continents. But some must have lingered, slowly captured by the Garthim for the next two centuries until just after Jen and Kira were born. Maybe they thought they were safe where they were, like the people of Namopo Valley, but weren’t as lucky in repelling the Garthim.

1 of 3

‹‹ Technical Questions      Gurjin and Jul ››