Jen as the Chosen One
Posted: 30 August 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-07-20

So was Jen technically the Universal chosen savior or was he just the only Gelfling child the Mystics could reach? When Jen was dreamfasting with Kira he mentioned how his Master made all the monsters go away which implies the Garthim were still terrorizing Jen’s village and I was never sure if urSu targeted Jen.

Posted: 30 August 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

I get the feeling that Jen was the only Gelfling child that urSu saved.  It’s possible that when Jen’s home was attacked, his parents tried to flee and they got close enough to the Mystics that urSu could interfere, protecting Jen but unable to help his parents.  Then urSu raised Jen in the knowledge of the Mystics, making him ready to take on the burden of being the Chosen One.  So Jen seems more like a “made” or “convenient” Chosen One rather than a pre-destined one.  (Plus I get tired of the pre-destination card that’s played in so much fantasy.)  Aughra’s predictions might know that A Gelfling would be chosen around the time of Jen’s birth, but I don’t think the stars could predict which one.  A slight change of geography and it could have been Kira instead!

Posted: 30 August 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

Good point though honestly I think Kira is as much as the Chosen One as Jen is. If not for her he wouldn’t have gotten as far as he did IMHO. She called the Landstriders, saved him from skekSil, got him into the Castle, and made sure the Skeksis wouldn’t get the shard. Pretty important stuff.

Edit: Oh and she helped him figure out what the Shard is for (kind of indirectly) and gave him a reason to live. I’m not sure he would have tried as hard if he were the only Gelfling in all of Thra. We know he was pretty lonely and with how social Gelfling seem to be naturally it would probably play a role with his willpower had Kira not been around.

Posted: 31 August 2013 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

What is really interesting is the wording of the Prophecy, according to Aughra, itself:

“When single shines the triple sun,

What was sundered and undone

Shall be whole, the two made one,

By Gelfling hand, or else by none.”

Basically, if we operate on the idea that Gelfling is the same singular and plural, then theoretically both Jen and Kira—as Gelfling—fulfilled this Prophecy and the healing of the Crystal. And while Jen may have been the Chosen One by urRu understanding and interpretation, it does not mitigate Aughra’s original words: and she would probably have a more accurate understanding of it being an extension of Thra itself.

Also, what is fun to think about, is that the two made one mainly refers to the urRu and the Skeksis, but it can also be interpreted as the burgeoning between Jen and Kira—two made one to begin the Gelfling civilization, if not the race again—themselves.

Posted: 31 August 2013 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

That’s a very good point MaKir! I hadn’t thought of it that way before but you’re right and we all know how balance-y and mathematical Thra is as a whole.

Posted: 01 September 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

I love it! Also along those lines, “what was sundered and undone” could refer as much to the Gelfling civilization as it dos to the urSkeks.

IrishChangeling, I agree with you about Jen and Kira. It almost seemed like Jen was on the verge of getting frustrated when he finally met Kira in the swamps. With all the obstacles the two had to go through, it seems like the journey would’ve been almost impossible if either had tried it alone.

Posted: 01 September 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

Agreed, if they hadn’t found each other the Skeksis would have succeeded. Heck, Jen was getting frustrated even with Kira. I’m kind of curious to know what would have happened had they failed and the urRu showed up at the Castle anyway. It’s not like the Skeksis can kill them.

Posted: 01 September 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

That definitely would’ve been interesting. If they’d ended up killing each other off, I wonder who would’ve taken over.

Posted: 01 September 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

What most likely would have happened is that the Skeksis would have absorbed all the energy of the Great Conjunction and liberated themselves from the connection with their urRu counterparts. So either they would have destroyed the urRu with impunity and a whole new level of dark power, or the urRu themselves would have ceased to exist. The Dark Crystal would have remained forever dark and the degradation of the land would have continued all throughout Thra. Aughra would have eventually died. The Podlings would have been destroyed or bred in captivity and the Skeksis would have been Dark Lords of all: barring civil war and murder because, chances are, SkekSil and SkekZok would have tried to betray and back-stab SkekUng as the Conjunction came to its conclusion to gain unlimited power over all Skeksis and Thra.

It would not have been a pleasant situation either way.

Posted: 01 September 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

Good thing Jen and Kira succeeded then. That’s just depressing. Do you think if the Skeksis had won that they could attack their original homeworld?

Posted: 01 September 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I suppose it depends on how powerful the Third Great Conjunction through the lens of the Dark Crystal would have made them and what their motivations were. I mean, if they destroyed all Thra, what would really keep them there? Perhaps they would spread throughout the other worlds and dimensions: and I’m pretty sure they would have a soft spot in their dark hearts for the place that banished them—the beings they used to be—to begin with.

Posted: 01 September 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

True but since they are basically evil incarnate I can see them holding a grudge and desire to crush their old brethren. The Crystal of Truth is very powerful so who’s to say.

Posted: 19 February 2017 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-12-07

Hello There,

I believe that EITHER Gelfling could have healed the crystal, and that they both worked together….

What’s really interesting is the fact that Jim Henson is a Libra, which is represented by the scales of justice. The idea of balance is very important to Libras, as are the ideas of peace and harmony.

This entire movie has a true Libran sensibility to it. An imbalance splits one race into two, and those two must become one again, in order for the universe to be in balance again. Jen and Kira, who are both important within “the journey of Jen”, were each separated from their own race, to be raised in ways that would cause them to appreciate new ideas, but, in order for their individual lives to be more balanced, they had to find each other, because each brought qualities that the other didn’t know as much about (Jen knew more about reading and writing than Kira knew, but Kira understood verbal communication in more depth than he did).

When viewed through an astrological lens, the movie makes a lot of sense. That is not to say that it makes no sense otherwise, but I find that it seems to have a lot to do with the sign of Libra. Libras appreciate peace (The Mytics), beauty (Kira’s connection with nature, and Jen’s love of music), and being social (The Gelflings). They like flashy, shiny things (The Skeksis’ preoccupation with jewelry and youthful beauty). They appreciate justice (The salvation of Jen and Kira, and the righting of a disturbing wrong), and they appreciate gentility, too (Jen’s NON-hyper masculine attitude, Kira’s almost maternal nature, etc.) They can be selfish (Skeksis) and, at the same time, too eager to make others like them (Jen?), but, ultimately, they want the world to be more beautiful. Libra is an air sign (The purple of the crystal is like the purple of a stormy sky, and the clear color is like the air, the draining of one’s essence takes one’s breath away, Kira has wings, etc.) Finally, Libras love romance and love, but they can be flirtatious, and it’s important for them to take their time, in order to find their perfect partners (Jen and Kira were destined to be together, but they aren’t POSED as sweethearts, lovers, etc. from the get-go.) 

Well, I’m wanted in the forest, so….

Goodbye For Some Time,
Kira1982

Posted: 20 February 2017 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2016-08-12

That’s an interesting take on how Henson’s subconscious / personality may have impacted and helped to develop the storyline. I feel the sense of balance was the major theme in the movie, and both Gelflings were necessary to heal the Crystal.