1 of 3
urVa the Archer
Posted: 23 July 2013 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

I feel like the urRu Forum is getting lonely. So here is my question: how do you feel about urVa: an urRu Archer and master of four-armed combat from what is supposedly a very passive and non-violent species? I find it fascinating personally and I wonder if he is an exception or if there is an angle he can be worked from. Either way, I think I am going to do something with him because he is a new character. Definitely.

Posted: 24 July 2013 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2013-07-18

I can accept an urRu knowing some kind of martial art that merely involves immobilising rather than hurting an opponent, but the idea of an urRu archer is baffling to me, as archery is only good for taking life, which the urRu are incapable of. Even if the archery was purely sporting (through use of bullseyes and such) what would be the point?

Posted: 24 July 2013 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-07-20

Are urRu vegetarians? Maybe for food and they apologize profusely afterwards? Also archery is very meditative (archer in real life) so perhaps he uses it to shoot intricate targets. Other than that I have no idea.

Posted: 24 July 2013 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

I could definitely see them performing some kind of ritual after hunting to bless the food and the animal that sacrificed itself so the circle of life could continue.

I’m not too surprised that they have an archer/combat master. Even the most peaceful races and societies need to know how to defend themselves, so even though the urRu chose peace, I’m guessing they wanted an archer to help with training and things if the need ever arose.

Posted: 24 July 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

Combat rituals can be highly meditative, but the archery thing baffles me too.  Something that is consistent throughout the source material is that the Skeksis are about action and the urRu are about contemplation.  The urRu are full of wisdom, but are unable to act on what they know because of their knowledge of consequence.  I figured that the opposite of skekMal the Hunter or skekVar the General would be urSen the Monk and urMa the Peacekeeper rather than urVa.  I don’t know enough about archery to know if there is any way to have urVa work without destroying the aura of the urRu.  Maybe he does shoot targets to help embody focus and discipline?

I hate to say this, but I think the reason urVa ws created was to make the urRu less “boring”...which kind of defeats the whole beauty and point of the urRu.  The Skeksis and urRu are incomplete species.  They aren’t supposed to exist.  They embody imbalance because they are halves of a split being.

Posted: 24 July 2013 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2013-07-24

Archery and martial arts can be very Zen and peaceful.
Although they do stem from violence.
Remember, he didn’t learn these skills in his current form. He split from a being with the knowledge. The Skeksis half kept the violent parts of the arts, the urRu half kept only the meditative aspects. In the time since, each half has had ample time to perfect these skills to suit their nature.

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18

The archer urRu is a difficult concept to wrap your head around, sure. While archery seems like an inherently violent skill, it takes years of discipline to master, as do the creation of bows and arrows.

It’s the physicality of it that’s the problem for me, trying to picture the actual act of a big Mystic body raising up on its back legs, leaning on its tail, I guess, and keeping its big heavy head level with the arrow. I’m trying to remember the scene from the movie where urUtt? is playing the harp, which is probably the closest type of arm movement, but I’ll have to watch it again.

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

I think the harp was played with it lying down (or maybe it was a special instrument made specifically for the urRU so they could play without having to lean back on their tails). I wonder if they did something similar with archery and had some sort of modified stance or bow that helped them shoot with four arms, etc.

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

I thought that might be the case, that some sort of platform was used, but I couldn’t remember. Thanks, Mel!

I think you’re right on about the modified stance. Might have to do some sketching this weekend to give me some ideas about how to narrate it. But hey, having to describe an urRu shooting a bow is still probably a lot easier than having to film an urRu puppet shooting a bow, so I guess I shouldn’t complain. wink

Posted: 24 July 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

Also remember that we are looking at the urRu when they are a lot younger. They might be tall as they always were, but they are depicted, especially in the Author Quest PDF as being a lot slimmer, leaner, and quicker. They also seem to be more agile and perform various tasks. Maybe they even multitask. I was thinking that urVa may use archery as a Zen meditative exercise, but I also trying to visualize a four-armed being using a bow and arrow: maybe he only uses two of his arms for that. He will interesting to work with.

Posted: 24 July 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18
MaKir - 24 July 2013 10:18 AM

Also remember that we are looking at the urRu when they are a lot younger. They might be tall as they always were, but they are depicted, especially in the Author Quest PDF as being a lot slimmer, leaner, and quicker. They also seem to be more agile and perform various tasks. Maybe they even multitask. I was thinking that urVa may use archery as a Zen meditative exercise, but I also trying to visualize a four-armed being using a bow and arrow: maybe he only uses two of his arms for that. He will interesting to work with.

I hadn’t thought about the “age” of the urRu being a factor—since my story occurs so late in the game I’d just been imagining the Skeksis and urRu as being pretty similar to their movie versions. That’s a great point. And as keepers of knowledge and ritual, the urRu wouldn’t want to forget this skill, even as their bodies grew more and more cumbersome.

I was doing a lot of thinking about the possibility of using both arms on the same side of the body to hold and draw the bow. It would take great strength to remain centered (I’m not a marks-person, maybe IrishChangeling can weigh in on this), strength a human wouldn’t be capable of, of maybe a Mystic could be. 

Or perhaps the bow has been modified to be held with one hand and drawn with TWO others. Don’t know if any human can shoot two arrows with any accuracy, but maybe an urRu could?

Posted: 24 July 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

If he used both arms to hold the bow I honestly think the bow would have to be designed pretty differently from what humans use. I can’t really see an urRu using a 25 lb recurve bow, or any recurve for that matter. I can see possibly a made up type of bow with compound bow similarities with the wheel, strength needed, and the force. I’ll have to think on it some more.

Posted: 24 July 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2013-07-24

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/58791/Thri-kreen_archer.jpg

FWIW, there is a picture of a four armed creature with a bow.
The extra weapon is a bit of a stretch, and useless if you’re in archery range.

I pictured the bow being held steady by two hands on one side, while the other two arms take turns drawing and firing arrows. Very efficient.

Posted: 24 July 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

That is a useful template to work from, Voelker58.

Posted: 25 July 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

Awesome pic, V!

So, I was reading in “World” yesterday that they used their top pair of arms for things that required strength and the lower arms for skills that required dexterity. I guess they’d probably use their top arms instead of two arms on the same side.

Hey, what about a crossbow? (do archers not consider crossbow use true archery?) Hmmm, If urVa doesn’t use one, I think my skekMal is going to!

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-20

I can definitely see skekMal using some kind of crude looking crossbow with jagged arrows.

1 of 3

urRu Characters ››