1 of 3
Raunip
Posted: 23 July 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18

I’m not that fond of this character, even though I understand the importance of his role in the 2nd Great Conjunction. He was there to second-guess the urSkeks, but the way the character was developed, he just felt too much like “authorial intrusion”, you know? The Gelfling are supposed to be the bridge characters for us humans to enter the world of Thra, but Raunip acts too cynical and human for my taste. Aughra is neutral and nuanced, but Raunip feels heavy-handed and preachy, IMO.

As far as the author quest goes, I am planning on writing about Aughra, possibly even using her as a pov character, but I don’t think I’ll include Raunip. Is anyone else thinking of utilizing him as a narrator or story character? Anyone found a use for him? Just wondering if others feel the same way I do—meaning, I’d rather just pretend he doesn’t exist. Sorry, Raunip!

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

The thing is: for the initial story that I want to make, I don’t even know what to do with him. I mean, we don’t know his fate really after the second book of Creation Myths and that is a gap right there. Actually, I’m really glad someone mentioned him because I was going to. Raunip is an excellent example of what is, really, a self-fulfilling prophecy or a character that is an irony onto himself. I mean, think about it: he preaches against the urSkeks because they are not of Thra, and yet the Crystal—as a harsh lesson to him—teaches him that he isn’t entirely of Thra either. In fact, the urSkeks knew he wasn’t and they said nothing. So did Aughra: most likely because she knew what that would do to his chosen pride.

Creation Myths ironically shows that the urSkeks were not the only ones with discord in their hearts and that—I don’t know—Raunip saw the truth and yet also in a way helped make it happen. I do have a theory as to what happens to Raunip over time, but I’m not sure if it will pan out and, indeed, how long he lasts for after the Great Division or, really, how long ago the Division was from when the Storyteller tells us about it. It’s interesting, isn’t it? An urRu narrates the story of the Garthim Wars to us—the readers—and then this Storyteller narrates the Golden Age and the Great Division to us in Creation Myths.

Raunip could be an interesting character in perhaps the background, but there is just isn’t that much information on what will happen to him after the Division, as I said before. Yet it is interesting to think about.

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-07-18

I’ve been thinking of using him, myself, but perhaps in a more positive light (such as acting to redeem himself). I do think his purpose in the story was to cause the division of the urskeks, but I do not think that was his intention. According to the 8 page comic in the back of the book, he saw the darkness within them the moment he looked on them and thought they would corrupt the world he loves. At the very least, he also saw them as an outside influence on Thra, altering or interfering with the natural progression of the world. Maybe he could see this because he was part-alien, himself. I don’t think he is an entirely sympathetic character, but I think he felt his intentions were noble in his mind.

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

What is also interesting to note is that when the urSkeks arrived and when Raunip railed against them, the Gelflings on both sides began to show some violent tendencies or potential: with the Gelflings Raunip turned on the urSkeks, and the Gelflings around the Castle calling Raunip a “heretic.”

At the same time, the urSkeks pointed out something really interesting. They said that “all things are connected.” And remember that they came through Thra’s Crystal onto Thra: a Crystal that linked to their own and also links to other Crystals on other words: though Thra’s Crystal is apparently the strongest. Even though the urSkeks came from another plane, it seems, they were connected to Thra and so was Raunip: and this Thra/Outside relationship was literally *embodied* in Raunip.

I have to be careful now because I am actually beginning to reconsider using him in my story.

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18

Some interesting thoughts, thanks! The only purpose I could think of for him was to add character development to Aughra, honestly. But that would probably involve killing him off somehow, and I don’t think I want to fridge him like that just to make Aughra’s character more interesting.

The thing is: I can’t help but think he would have already gotten himself killed off by the Skeksis by the time of the Gelfling Gathering since he would not have been able to leave well enough alone. I mean, would a Skeksis like skekMal not have hunted him down if he was as loud about his opinions as he was before? Unless that’s the case, that he fears for his life, so he’s become a hermit like Aughra and keeps away from the Gelfling. Maybe he hangs with the urRu. wink

The bottom line is, I want my story to be about the Gelfling discovery of the Skeksis plot, and not what Raunip wants, you know?

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I understand, TereLiz. I also suspect that Raunip would have been a changed being after the Crystal talked to him: before the Skeksis broke it. I think he would have looked at everything he had done with a whole new perspective and become ... different. I could see him maybe keeping a low profile throughout the centuries and helping a Gelfling or whoever comes across him. I imagine he’d be this strange wanderer character that no one really knows and yet finds strangely familiar somehow: as though they knew him, or something like him all their lives. But I agree that the Gelfling plot comes first ... though I have some ideas as to how to expand some woefully under-described elements: particularly the urRu.

Posted: 24 July 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

I think Raunip was an unnecessary inclusion in the Dark Crystal canon, quite honestly.  I liked it much better when it was the arrogance of the urSkeks in thinking they could purge themselves of darkness and still be whole, rather than a “Loki/trickster/serpent” character messing with “Eden” and causing ruin.  I do like how Aughra became so fixated on the stars that she forgot to look at the place she was supposed to be guarding and paying attention to (Thra), but I dislike Raunip’s taunts being the tipping point for the urSkeks, because then it was the fault of just one darkened urSkek to bring all the others down rather than a joint endeavor of folly.  The catalyst for the Crystal cracking becomes an external force rather than an internal one, and my personal preference is for the internal desire for perfection being the cause of ruin rather than Raunip.  However, I don’t see Raunip having much (if any) effect on the Gelfling Gathering.  I picture him remaining in the depths of Thra long after Aughra leaves, still looking for the missing shard, perhaps even turning back into stone.

That’s my take on him, anyway.

Posted: 24 July 2013 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

Kahani, I totally agree with you about Raunip and his part in the cracking of the crystal. It seems more damning to the Skeksis for their “punishment” to be the result of an internal, group decision rather than being coerced, if you will. (I know Raunip didn’t actually talk them into breaking the crystal, but his taunts eventually did.)

I don’t really think he’ll be involved with the Gelfling Gathering. Maybe by that point he realized he’d meddled too much and decided to go far away, never to be heard from again.

Posted: 24 July 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I can see your points Kahani, TereLiz and urMel. At the same time, if you really wanted to, there is a way to reinterpret that whole scene. Or a few ways actually. You could see as this: the urSkeks tried to suppress their darkness and not acknowledge it. While the others were better at the self-deception, one of them was not. Raunip simply goaded one of them that was, at least more honestly and overtly, dealing with a darkness that was already there. You could see it as they didn’t really learn a thing on Thra: aside from augmenting the Crystal’s power and focus through the creation of better leyline crystal alignments. I mean, if the others were so perfected except for that one urSkek why didn’t the rest of them simply leave through the Crystal and that sole one remain or be destroyed?

Raunip was interesting in that he was a division in himself too. He was of Thra and at the same time not of Thra. He was created from a meteorite that landed on Thra and Aughra giving the substance inside it some of Thra’s essence. He could see things she couldn’t of the urSkeks because he was part outsider too. At the same time, being focusing solely on their darkness and alien Other nature, Raunip not only touched on a nerve in one of them that—basically was all of them because of their inherent shared consciousness that we keep getting hints of, especially when we hear about the rest of their kind and society on their homeworld—but it wasn’t completely conscious. Really, Raunip just wanted them to leave: because they made him uncomfortable and, when we see what the Crystal reveals to Raunip about himself, we can see why he inherently felt so. Hatred is a projection of all of one’s own insecurities, fears and loathing onto someone or something else.

Perhaps Raunip called that urSkek and, by extension, all urSkeks on their darkness that they thought they had dealt with but obviously didn’t. Of course, there is another possibility too: that Raunip is just part of a myth and he or his role didn’t quite happen in the account that we as the readers see depicted before us. Perhaps Raunip is simply part of a story and never existed. Maybe the urSkeks sought to actually purge themselves of all darkness. Maybe their split was a way to express their individuality and selfishness to its highest extent—free from the constraints of their homeworld—while, in turn, it was a way to also hone their spiritual and selfless nature on the other side of the equation so that when they unified again they would be be more in balance.

Or you could also argue that Thra or the Crystal used Raunip for that above purpose: as just a catalyst and only one of them.

Posted: 25 July 2013 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

MaKir, that makes sense too. Maybe his purpose really was just to be a catalyst for the crystal, so once he’d done his duty, he died or disappeared or something along those lines. Definitely something to think about.

Posted: 25 July 2013 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I think that Thra works in very complex ways. It made Aughra so that all of its vegetative and crystalline life could have a humanoid awareness and sentience. Perhaps by extension Aughra—as Thra—made Raunip to know what it was like to be Self and Other at the same time. It must have found the matter from that meteorite from outer space to be fascinating and what to know more through that same awareness. It’s probably that same motivation that had Aughra, and perhaps Raunip too, learn how to dreamfast with the Gelflings: who evolved naturally and as independent intelligences on Thra itself. The Crystal, as Thra’s heart, probably attracted the urSkeks for the same reason it was so interested in Raunip’s matter and even more so because of their potential to be divisive despite their great need for unity over individual. It had all these different facets and connections to explore in existence.

But personally, and here is a potential Spoiler Alert, I think that ...

Raunip becomes the Storyteller in Creation Myths: who is dying. But we don’t know much longer he lived past the Great Division. He would still be an interesting background character to be hinted on though: the “Heretic.”

Posted: 25 July 2013 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18
MaKir - 25 July 2013 09:55 AM

Raunip becomes the Storyteller in Creation Myths: who is dying. But we don’t know much longer he lived past the Great Division. He would still be an interesting background character to be hinted on though: the “Heretic.”

Oh, that’s brilliant! I’d never considered that, but that makes total sense to me. He would know the stories, and he’d naturally be gone by Jen and Kira’s time. That’s what I’m going with from now on too.

Posted: 25 July 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

Not to mention how the Storyteller even states something to the effect that he both appreciates and dislikes Raunip as a character: especially everything that happened. It just occurred to me that after what the Crystal showed him, he would have a whole other kind of self-consciousness and awareness of what he is now. He still acknowledges, but he still hates and to an extent distances himself from the being that he used to be and embraces another role. Or so I see it.

Posted: 25 July 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

I totally agree. I’m going to reread those this weekend with Raunip in mind as the narrator and see if anything else jumps out at me that I might’ve missed the first time.

Posted: 25 July 2013 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I mean, the Storyteller could also be Gyr: in that I could definitely see him as part of the Sifa Clan due to their mariner skills and their apparent longevity. He did also learn a whole lot of lore and stories in his travels—including the Dark Heart urSkek’s song—and we did see a Fizzgig with the Storyteller: a being that was seen with the Pod People and Kira.

But while it’s possible, I do think that it is mostly likely Raunip because I know Gyr never really trusted him at all: or at least didn’t like him.

Posted: 25 July 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-07-24

Raunip presumably died, before the crystal was healed.

MAybe in the 3rd book he’ll died when the skeksis “come in peace”

Hes likely developed a martyr complex

He made a single unfortunate comment at the precisely worng time, and instead of just hurting someones feelings, he ruined the world.

1 of 3

Original voice actor? ››