Community Banner
Dark Crystal Author Quest Book, Now Available

Is WotDC overused?
Posted: 23 July 2013 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2013-07-18

I love this book, but I notice that pretty much every single DC fansite and the official one simply copy&paste; passages of it for biographical information on the characters. Aside from cheapening the information contained in WotDC, I think it shows a decided lack of imagination on the part of the site authors. Take for example the biography of skekSil:

Between skekUng the Garthim Master and skekSil the Chamberlain, there was bitter rivalry. SkekSil hoped his smiling poison and suspicious craft would lead him, not skekUng, to succeed to the Emperor’s glory. Both were deceived.

There; in literally two lines, we have the full biography of one of DC’s most complex and important characters. While I do not protest against it being written in WotDC (it being from Aughra’s perspective, and she never met skekSil), I find it irritating that subsequent biographies completely ignore character details established in A.C.H. Smith’s novelisation, LotDC and Creation Myths (the DC wiki is different, but is in vast need of improvement). Still limiting ourselves to skekSil, how are we to know from his meagre biography that he was effectively second in line to the throne, that he had a rivalry with skekLach the collector, and that he could “soul-speak” like the Podlings?

Just my take on it. What are yours?

Posted: 23 July 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18
SkekSam - 23 July 2013 01:40 AM

There; in literally two lines, we have the full biography of one of DC’s most complex and important characters. While I do not protest against it being written in WotDC (it being from Aughra’s perspective, and she never met skekSil), I find it irritating that subsequent biographies completely ignore character details established in A.C.H. Smith’s novelisation, LotDC and Creation Myths (the DC wiki is different, but is in vast need of improvement). Still limiting ourselves to skekSil, how are we to know from his meagre biography that he was effectively second in line to the throne, that he had a rivalry with skekLach the collector, and that he could “soul-speak” like the Podlings?

I don’t think The World of the Dark Crystal is overused. The FAQ section on the author quest page says that LotDC and Creation Myths are both considered canon, so if you’re participating in the author quest, I’m sure it would be fine for you to incorporate pieces of skekSil’s personality and biography into your story—or any of the other Skeksis too, for that matter. My understanding of the quest is that they’re not looking for a carbon copy of DC or any of the other prequels; they want to see a fresh perspective that fits into the canon that’s already been established. I hope this helps!

Posted: 23 July 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

Maybe our job is to flesh out these characters a lot more and eventually provide for more biography. wink

Also, I’m really glad you brought up the point of SkekSil’s ability to communicate with animals: to “soulspeak” with them. I wonder how he learned how to do that. Or is it a Skeksis ability to mesmerize someone to obey them? SkekSil is, for all of his obvious eccentricities, a really complex and contradictory character.

Posted: 23 July 2013 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2013-07-18
urMel - 23 July 2013 08:47 AM

I don’t think The World of the Dark Crystal is overused. The FAQ section on the author quest page says that LotDC and Creation Myths are both considered canon, so if you’re participating in the author quest, I’m sure it would be fine for you to incorporate pieces of skekSil’s personality and biography into your story—or any of the other Skeksis too, for that matter. My understanding of the quest is that they’re not looking for a carbon copy of DC or any of the other prequels; they want to see a fresh perspective that fits into the canon that’s already been established. I hope this helps!

I am not referring to the author quest, I’m talking about DC sources in general. Almost all of them simply copy the content of WotDC. What would be so hard in simply forming a new biography with a fresh perspective?

Posted: 25 September 2013 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

It’s odd; I don’t see Aughra as an earth god.  I never had that kind of interpretation of her from WotDC.  I had the feeling that she was very, very old, that her race or existance is much longer than the Gelfling.  While she might be perceived as a goddess by the Gelflings (although I never got that impression they regarded her as such, more like a teacher or guide than a deity), she’s no more divine than the urSkeks.  Long-lived, yes.  Wise, yes.  Origins lost to time?  Absolutely.  But not a goddess.  Really, the description of how Thra “made” her could be the way everything was “made” on Thra; we are all born out of the stuff of the earth after all, aren’t we?  Primordial ooze and amino acids that combined in just the right way to begin life, progressing to creatures that crawled from the early seas to take their first steps on land…all “from the earth” if you want to be literal.  And Aughra is so old and the legends so fragmented…I would not be surprised if she eventually forgot where she came from. 

But I do agree that we should try to branch out and explore more of Thra and try to avoid becoming Crystal-centric in the same manner as the film.

Posted: 26 September 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

You make some excellent points.  I agree that I like Aughra being a “batty old star-watcher,” sort of like a female Yoda in a fantasy tale. 

I’m not really sure about other races existing on Thra alongside the Gelfling.  I’ll admit that I do not care for the proposed storyline for a possible sequel to The Dark Crystal; it didn’t seem to fit and made things more complicated.  However, that doesn’t mean that on some other continent or island over the Silver Sea that another race couldn’t have developed beyond the purview of the Skeksis, urRu, or urSkeks.  I find it hard to postulate on another intelligent race living in the same area as the Gelflings and Podlings because, even if the Skeksis had not initially messed with them, the garthim and other monsters would probably have interfered with that other race or races.  And once the Gelfling were gone, the Skeksis started taking the Podlings, so I don’t see why they would’t have turned to another intelligent race for essence as well.  But until it reached that point…yeah, I could see everyone turning a blind eye.  They Gelflings themselves did that, to their regret. 

My thought on why they leave Aughra alone (besides the fact that she was not a Gelfling)is because she is too powerful.  Or maybe she used to be very powerful and the skeksis don’t know how much she has been diminished, so they err on the side of caution.  She seems to be Neutral Neutral, perhaps, as D&D might say, but powerful enough to cause them problems if she wanted to.  I think they try not to draw her attention, especially since both the Skeksis and the Mystics have a certain reverence for time, symbols, signs…they approach and interpret them differently, but the reverence is there. 

It does bother me that it seems like she no longer cares about the Gelfling and does nothing to help them when the Skeksis start killing them, especially since she is depicted in WotDC and especially the Creation Myths to be so concerned for their well-being.  My only explanation so far is this:  either she got so wrapped up in her work that she became completely divorced from the world she was supposed to protect, or there was nothing she could do until the Great Conjunction.  After all, it took the power of the Crystal plus the Great conjunction to split the Skeksis and urRu in the first place.  I think that the reason Aughra and the urRu retreated and waited so long was because in order to put the two halves back together, they had to wait for the power of the next Great Conjunction, otherwise it wouldn’t have worked.  Still doesn’t quite explain why they then did nothing to try to preserve the Gelfling until the last minute though…

Posted: 27 September 2013 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

No need to apologize, urSkaa; your theories are very interesting and I’m sorry if I misinterpreted speculation as queries about how to fit something into the preexisting canon.  (The way my mind works, I’m always trying to fit what I think and what has been presented together in such a way that the maximum amount of information can be contained, preferably without contradiction.) 

I REALLY like Secret Moon’s and MaKir’s ideas about why Aughra became indifferent, and it makes perfect sense if she’s that closely tied to Thra.  And I’m sure that young Aughra would have a lot of interesting stories to tell!

Posted: 14 March 2014 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2014-01-31

I think Aughra doesn´t care very much about Skeksis personality,she knows they´re all evil
don´t forget that book is far older than all those “new” characters and clans