Community Banner
Dark Crystal Author Quest Book, Now Available

2 of 2
Didn’t Win? Come on in!
Posted: 01 March 2014 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2013-07-23

Can the fan-fic section handle 52,000 words?

Posted: 01 March 2014 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-11-13

Made a better link to my piece. It’s got a great Lord of the Rings quest feel to it. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8uqdbliwfdb6e0/TheSevenHopes-JustinJBowen.doc

Posted: 02 March 2014 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

Congrats to the five finalists and 20 Editors’ Choice winners!

That being said…I also didn’t make it.  :-(  I was kind of upset when I first saw that; it isn’t easy seeing all of one’s hard work apparently come to naught.  But my big brother pointed out something that I thought I should share with everyone else who tried their best but didn’t make it:

You wrote a book. 

It might not have been the book the Henson Company wanted.  It may not have been in the direction they wanted the franchise to go.  But that doesn’t mean you failed or that what you wrote was bad.  At the very least, you have the beginnings of a book or a hell of a short story, if you didn’t write out the entire story first and then pick what you wanted from it.  And that’s a helluva accomplishment, especially with 3 months to write if you started in October.

So I’m going to spend March editing my Dark Crystal story and then posting it in the fanfic section.  Or at least providing a link to it (since it’s, like, 200 pages.)  And everyone?  Keep writing.  Keep being creative.  Because you are awesome.

(Many thanks to UrYar for sharing that Buzzfeed article.  That helped a lot.)

Posted: 02 March 2014 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2013-07-23

I posted my novel, A Suspicion of Darkness, in the fan fiction area on this site. A PDF version for easier reading can be found here: http://dlmorrese.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/a-suspicion-of-darkness-a-dark-crystal-novel/

Posted: 02 March 2014 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-02

Hey! New here as a member of the forum. I’ve been reading the stories that have been posted so far and I gotta say, they’re all great! It’s like, instead of one Dark Crystal sequel or prequel novel, we’re getting 500 plus, if everyone posts…

Anyway, just wanted to share my “Author Quest” story, “Thief Of The Dark Crystal”. It includes illustrations. However, when I went to submit my story, I read you couldn’t include pictures in the official entry… DOBAH! Wish I had known that before I wasted all that time.

Oh, well. It was worth it in the end. I had fun drawing and hopefully the illustrations enhance the story if you read it.

You can find “Thief Of The Dark Crystal” here: http://thiefofthedarkcrystal.blogspot.com/

Fala vam and good luck on all your future writing endeavors!

Posted: 03 March 2014 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2013-12-05
Moon - 02 March 2014 11:06 AM

Fala vam and good luck on all your future writing endeavors!

Awww, fala vam to you too Moon!

Posted: 03 March 2014 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-03-03

Hi everyone!  I’ve been lurking here on the forum since I started working on my contest submission.  The discussions have been really interesting!  So thanks everyone for that.  smile

Since everyone else started sharing their entries, I decided that I would share mine, too.  I posted it on my blog (in case anyone else is wondering, I emailed to ask and they said it was fine).  Here’s the link: “The Skeksis’s Lie.”  I hope you enjoy it! 

I’m looking forward to reading everyone else’s entries.  smile

Posted: 04 March 2014 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

Hey everyone, kudos to Shauna for figuring this out: if you want to comment on someone’s story, click on their name and send them an email or private message from their profile page. I guess if you want to post something more public you have to do it here in the forums. Now go and spread some love, folks—the stories I’ve read so far have all been incredible!

Posted: 08 March 2014 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-07-18

I think for a lot of us it was kind of a shock not to get picked. Now that I’ve shared my story with some writing friends and let them critique it, it’s very clear why mine wasn’t. There’s so many mistakes I made. I wish I shared it with them before submitting, but it’s still a learning experience.

Posted: 13 July 2014 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2013-10-07

I finally got around to posting this. Sorry it took so long. Here is my submission and I hope you all enjoy:

http://www.56shards.com/dark-crystal-trivergence/

Posted: 14 July 2014 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

Thanks for sharing Jade Griffin! You have a nice writerly voice in your piece!

2 of 2