Spyeyes And Crystal Bats
Posted: 22 July 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-07-22

Are the Spyeyes around at the time of the Gelfling Gathering? What about the early, strictly nocturnal Crystal Bats?

Posted: 22 July 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

The Crystal Bats as they were seen in the movie were not created until after the Gelfling Gathering.  Not sure about the Spyeyes.  But the regular nocturnal bats that the Skeksis modified were (perhaps in the Cave of Obscurity) were probably around.  And just because the Crystal Bats weren’t around doesn’t mean the Skeksis didn’t have some other prototype or other aerial spies.  skekTek is a very busy (and very twisted) Skeksis.

Posted: 25 October 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2013-10-20

Does anyone have a better description of the SpyEyes? Or a visual they could share? Any info about them? Do they just hitch a ride and spy or do they sort of take over your mind or something?

Posted: 26 October 2013 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2013-09-26

From Garthim Wars, I gather they are parasites imbedded in and living on the host until dropping off one by one to return and report to the Skeksis.

Posted: 19 November 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-09-26

I think I’ve got my take on spy-eyes.

They are “darkened” creatures so just like bats, they have a natural form. The natural form is “eye-burrs” They are the clingy, spiny seed pods of “plants” that get caught in animal fur (like the burrs on Earth that get in your dog’s fur when he goes running through the fields.) The eye-burrs have eyes and see when an animal is close. When they see one, they jump off the plant and roll to the animal to imbed themselves in the fur.

The “Howlick” is the fizgig/Whoulf creature that is frequently the target of eye-burs in the wild and as a frequent target, they have a madd desire to pick the little buggers out of themselves and one another as part of their grooming. They crush them in their teeth which, in the case of natural eye-burrs, releases the seeds resulting in successful propagation for the plant.

Skektek has taken the eye-bur and modified it into the darkened creatures “spy-eyes” using the darkening power of the crystal. So the spy-eyes operate the same way, only they drop off at irregular intervals and use the eyes to return to their place of origin and upon being crushed, release the “recording” of what they have witnessed while attached to the host.

That’s why the Howlicks are such a great ally to the Gelfling in sweeping for spy-eyes, To the howlick, spy-eyes are like the hated eye-burrs that annoy them in their natural world. (except they taste bad which adds to howlick hatred of the little suckers.

You milage may vary based on your own ideas and creativity, but that’s how I’m framing the creatures for the purposes of my entry. I don’t think it violates any elements of canon and may actually inform the past depictions of spy-eyes.

I’m not entirely convinced that Fizgig and Whoulf were intended to represent the same species. But I think they could. Like the pomeranian and the german shepherd are both “dogs.”

Posted: 19 November 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

That’s brilliant, TaoDiva! I love the history of the spy-eyes, er, spy-burrs. And I think you’re right; we don’t really know the history behind some of the creatures in Thra since their origins weren’t mentioned in the canon, and your take on it definitely gives us a better idea about their background.

It’s posts like this that make me extra excited to read everyone’s theories once the quest is over. I can’t wait to hear about all the new creatures people have created and the backgrounds existing ones have gained. :D

Posted: 19 November 2013 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-09-26

The trick is trying to convey these “facts” through the narrative. We only have 10,000 words and No one wants to read a novel that sounds like an encyclopedia.

***Paka was not permitted to groom strangers. but she watched carefully, her tail twitching, waiting for the eye-burr to drop. When it did she pounced upon it with a screech! the little creature scraped from under her paw but Paka threw her entire body after it’s every dodge and jump until she caught it tight between her teeth. Biting down, she felt the burst of bitter bile telling her she had won.

“What’s wrong with that howlic?” Ven’s bright laughter broke through in his voice. He followed Paka’s antics with amusement.

“She just made sure Skekvar doesn’t find out what you just told me.” Nari replied seriously. “That eye-burr was a spy-eye!”

Ven was unconvinced. “What makes you think so?” He looked at Paka again. She was shaking her head violently trying to rid her mouth of all traces of the foul creature.

“Howlicks bite eye-burrs all the time. No reaction. But they don’t like the spy-eyes. They taste bad. Look!”

Paka was now drinking from the black stream, apparently washing the last remnants of spy-eye juice from her mouth.

Ven was suddenly alarmed and pulled off his shirt and used it to beat around his chest and neck. “Are there any more? Am I clean? Can you see any?”

Nari was polite enough to hide her laughter. He looked ridiculous dancing around like that.

“Don’t worry, Paka will get them if you do.” She called Paka and gave the command, “sweep.”

Ven patiently put up with the indignity of letting the howlick playfully nuzzle his body. This was not the impression he had intended to make.***

So now we know about eye-burrs, spy-eyes, and something about Paka, Nari, and Ven. ( in a previous scene, we have already seen Skekvar break open a spy-eye, read it’s report and react to the information. So bits of information trickle out as they are needed.

I have to be careful when it comes to blending information with exposition. I can get away with dishing out a little info for it’s own sake in my travel blog but not in a story. I once heard an author at a writers’ workshop say, “the story must be served at all times.”

Posted: 14 March 2014 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2014-01-31

In the Manga comics you see SkekLach uses a winged lizard as a spy too