Classification
Posted: 23 January 2014 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-01-21

Just recently I’ve been pondering over a certain question, that being how one might classify the creatures of Thra?

On Earth we’ve created classes for our planet’s many species, terms such as Reptile, Mammal and Avian to name a few.

Now of course I don’t doubt that certain creatures on Thra could be placed in such groupings, however.. what about those that can’t? Like a Nebrie for instance, how do you suppose you’d classify such a beast? As an amphibian because of it’s semi-aquatic lifestyle? or as an insect for it’s grublike appearance. Or maybe.. neither.

I guess what I’m getting at here is that to be able to correctly label these things someone might need to come up with a few new classes? To really know said individual would most likely have to study each species with great detail, examining every aspect of its biology, comparing it to what humans know of the animals they share their planet with today.

None the less, just a curious idea I thought I’d share~

Posted: 24 January 2014 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18

Hey, Leopard of Thra,

We had a few posts months back on the subject of hunting and whether or not Gelfling were vegetarians, which led to a few comments on whether Gelfling would see the division between plants and animals as cut as dried as we humans see living things Earth. Since some “plants” are mobile and some “animals” tethered to a certain location, I think you’re right to assume that even the most scientific Gelfling would be hard-pressed to categorize and classify them.

I did use the terms plants and animals in my author quest submission, but sometimes I used “creatures” or “beasts” where I wasn’t sure how to progress or how the pov character would refer to said life-form. I wish I had more to say on the subject, because it’s so interesting to so many of us here. Would love to see (or write the text for, lol!) a “World of the Dark Crystal” style “Thra bestiary” where the Froudian creatures we’ve been poring over are named, and with proper information on their habitats, diets, etc.

Posted: 24 January 2014 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2014-01-21

Greetings TereLiz,

Your suggestion of a “World of the Dark Crystal” style bestiary would be rather fascinating, I’d certainly be interested in seeing some writing pieces on my fellow creatures of Thra.

Categorizing all the many beings that inhabit Thra would certainly be quite the undertaking, so many varieties of living things to group and write about.. Although it would definitely take some time I’m sure it would be an enjoyable journey; the writer or writers would learn so much and be able to expand upon the known knowledge of the planet’s species.

Posted: 24 January 2014 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2014-01-03

Wow that would be fun for all the writers to take a stab at scientific entries from the various critters from their own version of Thra. We add those to the Cannon ones and we would have one hell of an interesting eco-system.

just look at the planetary system thread to see what happens when we let our Geek-wiz kid sides out to play!!

the hard part would be the classification of plant / animal / plant-animal / animal-mineral ect.cheese

Posted: 30 January 2014 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2013-10-07

Holy carp, that would be a way to honor the fans and make some cash! Have certain authors/creative minds input their own classification—maybe even a new contest—and put it into this proposed Dark Crystal World Bestiary book. Sweetness. What an awesome idea:) Like an open artist/author call and make it a compilation/anthology but by creature type.

I hereby grant permission to use these ideas! You know, the anthology, the contest for it, etc.  As if I needed to…