1 of 4
Poll
Anyone else just dying to know if they made the top 5 for AuthorQuest?
OMG me too! 14
Meh. 3
I already KNOW I won. Cause I’m awesomesauce. 2
What’s Authorquest? 0
Total Votes: 19
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Anyone else just dying to know if they made the top 5 for AuthorQuest?
Posted: 17 January 2014 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2013-12-05

I know I am!

Posted: 18 January 2014 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-09-19

I was so excited to write the book; I love what I came up with; and yeah, I’m desperate to know if others will feel the same way.

OTOH, it was really a blast just to write it.  It felt like a vacation on Thra.

Posted: 18 January 2014 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

Any other writers out there having trouble transitioning out of Thra like I am? We worked on it for so long that it’s kind of hard to write about anything else right now.

Posted: 18 January 2014 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

Every day we get closer to March and my excitement level rises. 

I’m not really having trouble transitioning out of Thra per se…but I can’t seem to transition into anything else!  Bah, there are stories to be written!  Begone, writer’s block!

Posted: 18 January 2014 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

I don’t know about you guys, but apparently part of my way of dealing with the wait is to read over my submission and sweat angst over all its imperfections. Ah well, I’m sure even Henson and the team looked back on the film and wished they could change stuff!

Posted: 19 January 2014 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2013-11-23

I will forget about it for a few days, then I will remember and hurriedly count the days until March. Then I forget about it again…etc.

urWhit, don’t do that! Don’t look back at what you’ve submitted, that way lies only pain! I’ve been struggling a little to get back into what I was editing before I wrote my submission piece, although I think that’s just me rather than a relic of the contest.

Posted: 19 January 2014 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2013-11-03

with SO many submissions in play, i’ve definitely been trying to manage my expectations. at this point i am wishing that, whatever happens, this moves my hope for a writing career forward in any way at all. (but hopefully more than the “i did my best and that’s worth a lot in and of itself” way.)

Posted: 19 January 2014 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2013-07-23

Lol, I’m trying really, *really* hard to completely ignore my calendar and just let the days go by without thinking about it - but I’m still totally counting down. smile

Posted: 20 January 2014 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18
GelflingFriend - 19 January 2014 08:40 AM

I’ve been struggling a little to get back into what I was editing before I wrote my submission piece, although I think that’s just me rather than a relic of the contest.

I agree with this completely. I was working on another story at the beginning of last summer and dropped it the day I heard about this contest. I didn’t even look in that story’s direction until a week after I turned in my submission (which I’m totally okay with since this was way more important). Now though, I keep looking at the other story and thinking, “Meh. This isn’t as exciting as it was. Can I just keep writing about Thra?” smile

Posted: 22 January 2014 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

This is kind of a silly question, but I’m wondering—when they announce the finalists, do you think they’ll do so on the Author Quest page? It would make sense if they did since that’s all about the contest.

Posted: 22 January 2014 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

I would assume they’d contact the finalists privately first, then once those have all responded, they’ll post some kind of announcement on FB and DC.com. Whether or not they’ll actually name names, or just say ‘the finalists have been selected’ I’m not sure. Personally I’d love it if they’d name names so I can congratulate the winners, but I’d understand if there are privacy issues that might prevent that.

Rob / Anna, would you be willing to weigh in?

Posted: 22 January 2014 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-03

it does say on the author quest page, “please check back” regarding contest results, which leads me to think they would post something there. i agree, i hope they name names (unless, obviously, there are privacy issues).

Posted: 22 January 2014 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

I’m assuming they’ll at least mention first names. This was listed in number four under the general section of the rules and regulations PDF:
“Further, each entrant (including the prize winner) grants to Sponsors the right to use each entry and the winner’s name, likeness, and biographical information in advertising, trade and promotional materials, without notice, review
or approval, or further compensation or permission, except as set forth herein, and except where prohibited by law.”

Posted: 23 January 2014 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-11-22

I think the experience was fun either way. The poll’s options were pretty limited. I’d have chosen: ‘One can only hope!’ if that were an option. As such, the most aesthetic choice I can pick, being proud of my own work and the drive of everyone who submitted is:

I already KNOW I won. Cause I’m awesomesauce.

Face it, it’s what we all wanted to click. May as well have fun with it raspberry

Posted: 23 January 2014 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-03
Gus&Ven; - 23 January 2014 03:36 PM

Face it, it’s what we all wanted to click. May as well have fun with it raspberry

*raises hand and grins lopsided grin*

Posted: 24 January 2014 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18
urMel - 18 January 2014 03:57 PM

Any other writers out there having trouble transitioning out of Thra like I am? We worked on it for so long that it’s kind of hard to write about anything else right now.

Me! Not only am I having trouble transitioning back to a single present tense, first person pov after working so long in third, since the type of fantasy I usually write is based in real world history, it’s been tough to leave such a fantastic setting behind. 

I miss Thra a lot!

1 of 4