Dark Crystal Author Quest Book, Now Available

1 of 3
Author Quest Countdown
Posted: 14 December 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2013-12-05

Hi All,

Finally thought it was time to jump in and wish everyone the best of luck with the contest.  At the end of the day we’re all fans and have had a great experience reliving all of the awesome memories of DC . . . I’ve enjoyed everyone’s posts and have benefited from all the astute questions posed.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to keep the conversation going.  Let’s officially begin the final countdown (Europe song fades in at this point . . . ), what do you say?

Posted: 14 December 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

I couldn’t agree more, Wizzlemor!  Congrats to everyone who has entered, good luck to all those finishing their entries and getting them ready to send in, and a huge thank you to everyone who has participated on the forums!

Now, are we counting down to the end of the Submission period (December 31, 2013) or to the day they announce the five finalists (January 7, 2014)?

Posted: 14 December 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

The five finalists, I’d say . . . : )  That’s ultimately what we’re waiting for . . .

Posted: 14 December 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

Exciting stuff! I think that once the final 5 are chosen, the rest of the wait will be a snap . . . you’re either busy revising or you’re reading the winning entries and moving on with life.  This I think is the most difficult part . . . how many entries do you think there really are?  90% of the community profiles seem like spammers . . .

Posted: 14 December 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2013-07-19
Wizzlemor - 14 December 2013 12:59 PM

Exciting stuff! I think that once the final 5 are chosen, the rest of the wait will be a snap . . . you’re either busy revising or you’re reading the winning entries and moving on with life.  This I think is the most difficult part . . . how many entries do you think there really are?  90% of the community profiles seem like spammers . . .

This question was posed before in another thread.

Now this is purely speculation on my part but, I would guess that entries over all might be 1000 to 1500…......I mean think about the time and effort it took each of you to craft your own, that’s a lot of work combined, but due to the popularity of the film and the Henson company overall there will certainly be many.

Now as far as serious contenders? Where the submissions staff actually gets through the first couple of pages and wants to keep reading on? I am thinking there might only be two or three hundred. Again, all speculation on my part.

I just hope there aren’t more than four that are as good as or better than mine!

Posted: 14 December 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-12-05

Thanks for the input, Faergooz The Garthim . . . Make that 3 that are as good as yours ; )

Posted: 16 December 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

Congrats to all who are participating! Taking on a project of this nature has been a big task for many. It doesn’t matter whether you learned about the contest six days or six months ago; if you’re working on an entry, you get a round of applause! :D

(Regarding January 7, did we ever decide for sure whether they’re announcing the final five that day or whether they’re starting the elimination process that day? I know there’s been speculation both ways.)

On a totally separate note, you guys, happy holidays!

Posted: 16 December 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

That makes total sense. I think when I read the “On or about January 7, 2014, all entries will be judged ...” part, I interpreted “will be judged” as though they would begin the official culling process at that point even though they’ve been reading the entries as they’ve been submitted. What a fun belated holiday gift to the final five!

Posted: 16 December 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2013-11-23

I’m still editing mine, but it’ll be submitted pretty soon. I’m trying not to think about specific dates, or I won’t be able to concentrate on anything else that day! Of course I’d love to be in the top five, as would everyone who’s entered, but I’m also looking forward to reading the selected entries. (Or the *other* selected entries, let’s stay positive! wink )

It really has been great to have the forums on here, even though I spent a while lurking before I signed up and joined the conversation. It’s great to know there’s a strong community around Thra.
If you’re not picked, will you post your writing on here as fanfic? I probably will, just for fun!

Posted: 16 December 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-23
urSkaa - 16 December 2013 01:58 PM
GelflingFriend - 16 December 2013 01:43 PM

I’m still editing mine, but it’ll be submitted pretty soon. I’m trying not to think about specific dates, or I won’t be able to concentrate on anything else that day! Of course I’d love to be in the top five, as would everyone who’s entered, but I’m also looking forward to reading the selected entries. (Or the *other* selected entries, let’s stay positive! wink )

It really has been great to have the forums on here, even though I spent a while lurking before I signed up and joined the conversation. It’s great to know there’s a strong community around Thra.
If you’re not picked, will you post your writing on here as fanfic? I probably will, just for fun!

No matter what happens, I’ll be posting fan-fic on DarkCrystal.com. I’ve got so many ideas, I’m very excited smile

Great! I look forward to reading smile
I’m sure once this contest is out of the way, people will post their fan-fics. (I hope.)

Posted: 16 December 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-07-21

Am I the only one that thinks that this whole contest is very Willy Wonka-ish.  Regular people participate, Five Golden Tickets, one winner.  Hmmn, who will be our Charlie Bucket?

Posted: 17 December 2013 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18
saki14 - 16 December 2013 04:40 PM

Am I the only one that thinks that this whole contest is very Willy Wonka-ish.  Regular people participate, Five Golden Tickets, one winner.  Hmmn, who will be our Charlie Bucket?

That’s a good parallel!  Didn’t even notice that…

The nice thing about this is that we get to demonstrate our skills beforehand.  What if Willy Wonka had ended up with five Verrucas and no Charlies?  Would he have held the same contest over again?

No lifetime supply of chocolate though.  :-(

Posted: 17 December 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2013-11-03

i want a fizzgig NOW!!!

Posted: 18 December 2013 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-23
b minor triple chord - 17 December 2013 09:31 AM

i want a fizzgig NOW!!!

Yes, I think they should give Fizzgigs to every entrant :D

Posted: 18 December 2013 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-18

I’m also a longtime lurker here (like Wizzlemor) and now that I’m done with my story I feel like I can participate. Good luck everyone! Even if they don’t choose my story, I’m looking forward to reading the new series. May there be many sequels!

Posted: 18 December 2013 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-18

Thank you for your warm welcome! It was worthy of Kira’s Podling clan for sure. smile

1 of 3

‹‹ Sent Mine!      silly submission summaries ››