Posted: 08 December 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2013-11-23

This just occurred to me the other day - are all Skeksis and urRu male?

Posted: 22 January 2014 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-01-21

An excellent question GelflingFriend,

I believe I once heard that the Skeksis & urRu were really a mix of both genders, not quite male but not quite female; which I suppose would make sense. I can’t remember where I picked up this information though, as it was quite a while ago.

However when I was younger I felt as though they did indeed have individual genders, some male some female; I based these assumptions off of the depictions of the Skeksis mind you.

I felt as though the majority were male, though two stuck out as female to me; those being skekEkt the Ornamentalist and skekSil the Chamberlain.

To stay true to my original statement, I suppose perhaps skekEkt & skekSil simply leaned more towards their feminine side rather than the masculine side.

Posted: 26 January 2014 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2013-09-26

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m not inclined to lift a Skeksis robe to check on what’s going on underneath.  :-0

Posted: 31 January 2014 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2014-01-31

I don´t like all that “Skekekt to be female” stuff,he´s supposed to be male too and I don´t find SkekSil so effeminate..Skeksis are referred to be “Him” on the novel but the don´t appear to have sexual organs at all

Posted: 31 January 2014 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2014-01-04

I remember Jim Henson said (in The Making of The Dark Crystal)that he wanted the Skeksis to be male a combination of males and females, even though a couple of them were dressed like females and the rest of them were dressed like males.  I also think in a way, he wanted us to guess what each one of them were (female or male).

Posted: 12 November 2015 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2014-01-31

I´ve seen in a Thoughpigs video, that in one early script the Skeksis wanted to try to reproduce with Kira,so they were all male them

Posted: 16 November 2015 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2015-11-14

My fellow Skeksis friends think the Skeksis might be hermaphrodites.
But I think they are more male to me.

Posted: 17 November 2015 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2014-01-31

Jim Henson didn´t say they were hermaphrodites,he said he wasn´t sure about their gender… but they can´t procreate ,so i suppose they´re all male

Posted: 19 February 2017 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-12-07

Hello There,

I know that this won’t be a popular opinion, but if the Skeksis really CAN’T ever reproduce, I feel sorry for them. I mean, their race is literally dying, and, in their desperation to stay young, attractive, and alive, they’re having to drain Gelflings of their essences. THAT certainly casts the idea of the Skeksis in a darker, but sadder light.

I now know that a Gelfling’s essence is really only their strength, but, for awhile there, I figured that if a Gelfling were partially drained of their essence, they might be unable to reproduce, too.

That would’ve made an interesting conflict for a sequel, and it might have been interesting to watch as Jen and Kira literally found two un-related, orphaned baby Gelflings.

Well, NOW, I’m just in love with the idea of adorable, helpless, orphaned baby Gelflings being raised by Jen and Kira.  smile

Well, I’m wanted in the forest, so….

Goodbye For Some Time,
Kira1982

Posted: 20 February 2017 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2016-08-12

While many seemed male, some were certainly androgynous.  It’s interesting, with all their power, that they can’t birth a new being with the power of Thra, like Aughra is capable of.