Community Banner
Dark Crystal Author Quest Book, Now Available

1 of 7
Your Creative Process
Posted: 20 July 2013 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

Perhaps this is less a Dark Crystal question or topic and more of a creative writing one. In preparing to make a story based in Thra, how do you go about it? For me, I am writing a series of journal entries that explore certain characters and ask particular questions that I am going to have to address. In addition, I bring up some concerns that I also plan to look into as I continue along this track. It brings me closer to the world and when I get more reference information, through my books and the site, I know or have some idea of what to look for. I also imagine interactions between certain characters and how the world will look through the type of narrative style that I choose. But I am curious as to what others might think and do with this great creative crystalline sandbox.

Posted: 21 July 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

That’s great! Those are awesome ways to get to know your characters and the world. Depending on what aspect I’m working on when I sit down to write, sometimes I like to have pictures or a map of Thra in front of me (or something that reminds me of it) to inspire me. It also helps me to listen to different soundtracks to get into the right mood for the scene I’m writing.

Posted: 21 July 2013 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

Hello, urMel. Yes, soundtracks can be really inspiring and that is how I do a lot of my computer writing anyway. I know I am going to find the geography and environment of Thra with its rotating three suns challenging to work with. There is just so much detail there and it is easy to miss things. Right now I’m looking at, as I said, characters and their interactions and what they would do in a situation. It is still coming together, but I do have a few ideas. I think that perspectives and POV will be very important for what I want to write. Anyway, thank you for responding to my thread and I hope that you are doing well. smile

Posted: 21 July 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-07-18

What I’ve been doing is absorbing the information I’ve been reading and trying to visualize it all while I brainstorm ideas. I seem to do my best when I turn everything off after doing this and just laying there and letting the thoughts emerge. I’m a very visual thinker and I think this works for me. As others have stated, music can also be inspiring, as well. Good luck with everything!

Posted: 21 July 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

It is always a good thing to do: read it and view it all, and then let your mind absorb it. You can look at the sources again later when you need specifics. The ideas need time to gestate. I know that I want to make a story that interests me because that is when I will be at my height in interesting any potential readers. I already have an introduction in mind and a path from that which really intrigues me. But before I do anything, I need to review the rules and rewatch the film of course: I haven’t done that in a while.

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18

I was really inspired by the quest materials, particularly the Gelfling clans. I printed out the pdf and underlined the bits of info I thought would make a great story. Using that and the map, I had a rough idea of what sort of quest I wanted my characters to undertake. Figuring out the characters was almost too easy—the hard part was figuring out who to make my POV characters, and how many was too many.

I do have a vague outline plotted out, like, I know what the characters are going to do, where they’re going, and ultimately how the story is going to end, but I don’t know details yet. I think that helps me stay on task without sucking all the fun out of it. And sometimes it helps me get the first idea out, think about it for a while, only to reject it for something better. So loose plotting is very important to my writing process.

To keep things tight, I plan out the next few chapters I’ll be writing using scene goals. What does each scene accomplish? What do I need to set up in another scene to make this scene work? Who needs to be involved? And all the while I’m making certain that my pov characters NEED something. Their motivation doesn’t necessarily have to make sense or even be rational, but that NEED has to be there.

The only problem is, I think I may have too many pov characters. I have five young Gelfling and I’ve had to write two scenes from skekTek’s pov. I know I’ll be using at least one other Skeksis, but I don’t want to add any other Gelfling unless I absolutely have to. I think six might be pushing it if I have Skeksis also. Other than that, I plot by hand in a notebook, read everything I can get my hands on, and play around with maps. That’s basically my writing process for anything, although I typically stick to 2 or fewer povs, so this is a first for me!

Posted: 23 July 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2013-07-23

I began, as most others did, I’m sure, by watching the movie again (a few times), reading the novelization, researching all available resources, and taking copious notes. That was the major difference between how I planned out this novel and my others. I’ve never written one set in a world I did not create. I’m finding that doing so makes building the novel easier in some ways but harder in others because you have to make sure you’re not contradicting the preexisting canon. I also did a somewhat more detailed outline for this by sketching out all the major scenes in advance so that I could be sure the final story was short enough to meet the contest criteria, but my character and setting worksheets did not have to be as comprehensive because some of this information is already established.
I’m working on the first draft of the novel now and should have it complete by the deadline. I’m still not sure what I’ll submit for the contest— probably the first chapter and one of the middle chapters. That should provide the sponsors with a good idea of the direction I chose.

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-07-21

I have a few questions.  I am just getting ready to write.  Are there any foods that Gelfling specifically eat?  Also what would a year be called?

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-07-18
saki14 - 23 July 2013 10:22 PM

I have a few questions.  I am just getting ready to write.  Are there any foods that Gelfling specifically eat?  Also what would a year be called?

A year would be called a trine, but I think you could think up what you like for food. I’d probably make it somewhat different for each clan, considering their habitats.

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I believe a year is called a trine based on the movements of Thra’s three suns. As for food, I know that they like berries of some kind and even cheese or milk taken from the Nebrie. I would like to know if there are other kinds of edible foods or substances that Gelflings tend to favour. They can definitely eat what the Pod People consume as well too.

ETA: The Drenchen Clan tends to like to catch—and perhaps eat—lizards.

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-07-21

Sorry another question.  Where in proximity and distance do the 7 Gelfling Clans live from the Castle of the Crystal?

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19
saki14 - 23 July 2013 10:31 PM

Sorry another question.  Where in proximity and distance do the 7 Gelfling Clans live from the Castle of the Crystal?

sakil4, you might want to look at this Topic: it’s a matter still being discussed at length.

http://www.darkcrystal.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/32/

You might like to look at TereLiz’s map. It is awesome and generous. smile

Posted: 24 July 2013 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18
MaKir - 23 July 2013 10:28 PM

As for food, I know that they like berries of some kind and even cheese or milk taken from the Nebrie. I would like to know if there are other kinds of edible foods or substances that Gelflings tend to favour. They can definitely eat what the Pod People consume as well too.

ETA: The Drenchen Clan tends to like to catch—and perhaps eat—lizards.

I agree! It will be interesting to see what the different clans eat. I’m guessing they all have the same general food habits since they’re all Gelfling, but obviously habitat is going to be a big factor. I see the Woodland Clan having access to plants, berries, and possibly little creatures that live in the forest—depending, of course, on whether they eat meat. The Dousan would likely have very different tastes because of what lives or can’t live in the desert.

Posted: 24 July 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2013-07-23

I also wondered about diet, flora, fauna, and other setting details. I think that in cases where no definitive answers are presented in the existing canon, the contest sponsors expect the authors will fill in details.

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18
MaKir - 23 July 2013 10:57 PM
saki14 - 23 July 2013 10:31 PM

sakil4, you might want to look at this Topic: it’s a matter still being discussed at length.

http://www.darkcrystal.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/32/

You might like to look at TereLiz’s map. It is awesome and generous. smile

Aw, thanks, MaKir! I’ve been doing some thinking about the southern border of that map and what happens to the river. I may have to update it, lol!

Posted: 24 July 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-19

I’ve written out an outline for a prologue now and I can see it being the lead-in into the rest of the plot and spirit of whatever story I create. More notes and rough outlining to come.

1 of 7

POVs? ››