1 of 15
How goes the writing?
Posted: 08 August 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2013-07-18

So, we’ve officially been working on this with the website for a few weeks now; how goes the writing for everyone? Is anybody getting writer’s block?

Posted: 08 August 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2013-07-19

Not really….but I am still in the imagination process.

I originally was going to tackle this as a duo with a sci-fi writer friend of mine but today he informed me that he just doesn’t have the time to put in so I guess I’m on my own now. But that’s okay, it was kind of the kick in the pants I needed to really get going.

See you in the top five!

Posted: 08 August 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-07-21

I am done with two chapters and have the skeleton for my third done.  Amazingly I’m already at 9,000 words.  It occurred to me that when I am done with this chapter, these three chapters will be all I can submit.  As far as the writing itself,  I think at first I got a bit overwhelmed with the world and all of its aspects.  However once I decided on the story, working within the world became easier.

Posted: 08 August 2013 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2013-07-31

I only found out about this last Monday, and I’ve been furiously researching to catch up. I’ve just finished some early world building and I’m currently playing around with plots and characters, trying on different POV’s for size and testing the style I want to use for the story. I think I have about 1,000 words of my first chapter down on paper so far.

Posted: 08 August 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-07-20

It’s bit of a slow process for me since I’m the type who has to make sure I get canon as accurate as possible. I had already been writing the first chapter but an epiphany hit me the other day so it’ll be redone. I normally don’t enter these kind of things so I’m trying really hard not to be intimidated.

Posted: 08 August 2013 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

I am juggling a lot of things at the moment and I just want to wait for a little more information before proceeding. Hopefully the world will form around me as I begin to tell my tale.

Posted: 08 August 2013 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2013-07-31

I’m currently interning under a children’s author and she encouraged me to simply start writing and not too get too hung up on research. I also follow Diane Duane (author of the excellent Young Wizards Series)on tumblr and she answered a world building question the other day which was the thing that really got me sitting down and actually writing some story and not just world. She said she would leave notes to herself like [WORLD DETAIL GOES HERE] or [PLANT X] to fill in details but still allow herself to keep her flow going.

I too was quite reluctant to hop in before knowing more information, but most of what I need to know at this specific moment has been absorbed and anything else can be added or fixed later.

Posted: 09 August 2013 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

That’s great!

Banans13, I do the same thing if I’m not sure about what to call something (I’m terrible with coming up with names for characters or creatures). Usually I just put Awesome Name Here or something to be filled in later when I’m in a later draft.

MaKir, are you waiting on more info about the contest itself or about the world? If the latter, is there anything we (the community) could help with?

Posted: 09 August 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2013-07-18
Banans13 - 08 August 2013 10:46 PM

I’m currently interning under a children’s author and she encouraged me to simply start writing and not too get too hung up on research. I also follow Diane Duane (author of the excellent Young Wizards Series)on tumblr and she answered a world building question the other day which was the thing that really got me sitting down and actually writing some story and not just world. She said she would leave notes to herself like [WORLD DETAIL GOES HERE] or [PLANT X] to fill in details but still allow herself to keep her flow going.

I too was quite reluctant to hop in before knowing more information, but most of what I need to know at this specific moment has been absorbed and anything else can be added or fixed later.

Ha ha! My mss is full of bracketed notes to myself about things like that! It’s the only thing you can do to keep the momentum going and not get too hung up on the details. Save the research for those times when you’re not sure about what to write next, it might help loosen up your writer’s block. (I love Diane Duane!)

I guess I have about 18000 words so far, but I’ve been writing for almost a month. I like where I’ve got the first 10K words, so I’m perfectly happy with my submission. I had been writing linearly, but now I’m at that point where the stuff in the middle has to tie with stuff near the end that I haven’t written yet, so I’m about to start hopping ahead and writing some scenes I have planned in my head and work backward. We’ll see how that goes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Posted: 09 August 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2013-07-26

Yes, it is easy to be intimidated by details. I, for example, had many devious uses in mind for SkekHak the Machinist and his sadistic fabrications and metal monstrosities around the castle, pipe-works, industrializing. Then I saw the update on the urRu/Skeksis pairs character list on the Encyclopedia page here. And alas, he is dead. It appears that he will be killed off in Creation Myths III.

Humph.

As a smart author once said: time to kill your babies.

Posted: 10 August 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2013-07-23

I’m currently working on the final chapter. I have about 46,000 words so far, and I expect the final novel to come in just over the 50,000 word target. With luck and no unforeseen distractions, I should have the first draft of the complete novel done in another week. Then, of course, it’s time for revisions. Oddly enough, that is always my favorite part of the process.

Posted: 10 August 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2013-07-18

I’m about two-thirds of the way through the first draft.  I used Camp NaNoWriMo to knock out a lot of it, so my momentum has slowed, but I expect to have Draft 1 done by the end of August.  Then I’ll use September, October, and possibly November to edit and revise.  I’m writing chronologically, beginning to end, for the most part since that seems to flow better for me for this project.  (Most of the time I prefer to just write whatever scene I feel like, but that isn’t the way D.C.P. is panning out for me.)

Most of the hard work will be in the revision process.  Once that’s done, I’ll decide what I want to include in my submission.  Looks like people are doing great on theirs too!  Keep it up!

Posted: 12 August 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-18

Camp NaNoWriMo is a HUGE help for projects like this. Kahani also made me think of another question I have. Is everyone planning to use October and November to revise and then submit in December? I think, for me, it will depend on when I’m happy with my revisions and overall submission.

Posted: 12 August 2013 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-23

Same here. I’m not sure what I’ll use for my submission - probably the first chapter and one of the middle ones, or a least as much as possible given the seven to ten thousand word limitation. Still working on my first draft. It looks like the final draft will be about 52,000 words. I’m assuming that will be all right.

Posted: 12 August 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2013-07-19

All right. Now that I got something important clarified for me, I need to deal with some other things that are cluttering up my brain and then see what I can do with the world of Thra and its inhabitants. smile

Posted: 13 August 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-23

I just finished the first draft of the novel. It comes in at 51,792 words. Now, time for revision. grin

1 of 15